Top 10 Health Benefits of Indian Gooseberry or Amla
Emblica Officinalis, or Indian Gooseberry is a very sour fruit and is found mostly in India and tropical South East Asia. It is very rich in Vitamin C, and contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene and Vitamin B Complex. It is also a powerful antioxidant agent. Here is the top 10 health benefits of eating Gooseberry or Amla.
1. Prevents Hair Loss – Amla is one of the most nourishing herbs for the hair. It acts as a natural conditioner for healthy, shiny hair. It also slows down the greying process. Amla helps strengthen hair follicles, and increases blood circulation in the scalp, thus stimulating hair growth. This quality is due to the carotene content of Amla, as well as its iron content and general antioxidant capacity, which reduces hair loss by not allowing free radicals to damage hair follicles or impact the hormones that can cause premature hair loss.
2. Improve Eye Sight – Drinking Gooseberry juice with honey is good for improving eyesight, and studies have shown it to improve nearsightedness and cataracts, while reducing intra-ocular tension. This is mainly due to its impressive content of carotene, which have long been known for their powerful effect on vision-related conditions, including those that stem from free radical activity.
3. Cure Diabetes – Gooseberry contains chromium, which has a therapeutic value for diabetic patients. Indian Gooseberry stimulates the isolated group of cells that secrete the hormone insulin, thereby reducing blood sugar in diabetic patients and keeping their body balanced and healthy.
4. Helps in Digestion – Gooseberry is very high in fiber, like most fruits. Fiber adds bulk to the stool and helps food move through the bowels and keeps your bowel movements regular. This reduces the chances of constipation, and fiber can also bulk up loose stools and reduce diarrhea.
5. Prevents Heart Disease – Gooseberry strengthens the heart muscles, so the heart pumps blood smoothly throughout the body. By reducing excess cholesterol buildup, the chromium can reduce the chances of atherosclerosis, or plaque buildup in the vessels and arteries. This can reduce the chances of strokes and heart attacks. The iron content promotes the creation of new red blood cells, increasing circulation and the oxygenation of organs and cells to maximize growth and regeneration of tissue, while keeping the blood vessels and arteries clean.
6. Cure Infection – Due to its antibacterial and astringent attributes, Indian Gooseberries protect the body against infection and improves the body’s immune response. They are also a very good source of vitamin C, which is famous for its impressive antioxidant abilities and its stimulation of the immune system. It increases the white blood cell count in the body, which is the main line of defense for the immune system, since white blood cells attack and eliminate foreign toxins and substances in the bloodstream and throughout the body.
7. Anti-Aging – Gooseberry better known as Amla, prevents health-related hyperlipidaemia by reducing the amount of free radicals in the body through its antioxidant qualities. Free radicals are associated with signs of aging like wrinkles and age spots.
8. Burns Fat – Gooseberry is also known to reduce obesity. It increases the protein level in the body, which, in turn, reduces the unwanted fat. It trims down the cholesterol level. Hence, the risk of heart attack is also decreased.
9. Purifies Blood – Amla is a great antioxidant and blood purifier. It eliminates out toxins from the body and aids you on so many levels that you won’t even know. Regular consumption helps in increasing the hemoglobin and red blood cells count.
10. Immunity Booster – Amla is an immunity booster for the body. Due to an abundance of vitamin C, it boosts the immunity of the body against infections and diseases.