Black tea is made from the leaves of a bush called Camellia sinensis. A process called oxidation turns the leaves from green to a dark brownish-black color. Oxidation means the leaves are exposed to moist, oxygen-rich air.
Tea manufacturers can control the amount of oxidation. Black tea is a fully oxidized tea. Green tea comes from the same plant, but is not oxidized.
Amazing Benefits Of Black Tea
1. Oral Health: Studies funded by the Tea Trade Health Research Association suggests that black tea reduces plaque formation as well as restricts bacteria growth that promotes the formation of cavities and tooth decays. Polyphenols found in black tea kill and surpass cavity-causing bacteria as well as hinder the growth of bacterial enzymes that form the sticky-like material that binds plaque to our teeth.
2. A Better Heart: As identified by Arab L. et al. in their 2009 research paper called “ Green and black tea consumption and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis”, it is seen that regardless of people’s country of origin, individuals who consume 3 or more cups of tea had a 21% lower risk of a stroke than people who consume less than 1 cup of green or black tea per day.
3. Antioxidants: Black tea contains polyphenols, which are also antioxidants that help block DNA damage associated with tobacco or other toxic chemicals. These antioxidants are different from those obtained from fruits and vegetables and therefore as a regular part of our diet they can provide additional benefits towards a healthy lifestyle.
4. Preventing cancer – antioxidants like polyphenols found in black tea help to prevent the formation of potential carcinogens in the body which results in preventing cancers like that of the colorectal, prostate, ovarian, lung and bladder. Black tea can help to prevent breast, prostate and stomach cancer. The compound known as TF-2 contained in tea promotes death of cancer cells and allows normal cells to remain unaffected. Black tea can also reduce the risk of oral cancer in those who smoke cigarettes or use other tobacco products. Black tea prevents the growth and formation of malignant tumors.
5. Healthy Bones: It has also been suggested that regular tea drinkers have stronger bones and lower probability of developing arthritis due to the phytochemicals found in tea.
6. Lower Risk of Diabetes: Based on a research study conducted of elderly people living in the Mediterranean islands it was discovered that people that had been consuming black tea on a long-term basis on a moderate level (i.e 1-2 cups a day) had a 70% lower chance of having or developing type 2 diabetes.
7. Stress Relief: We all are aware and well experienced about the calming and relaxing benefits of black tea. Not only does it help slow you down after a long day, studies show that the amino acid L-theanine found in black tea can help you relax and concentrate better. Black tea has also been shown to reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol when consumed in moderate amounts on a regular basis.
8. Better Immune System: Black tea contains alkylamine antigens that help boost our immune response. In addition it also contains tannins that have the ability to fight viruses and hence keep us protected from influenza, stomach flu and other such commonly found viruses in our everyday lives.
9. Healthy Digestive Tract: In addition to improving your immune system, tannin present in black tea is beneficial for digestion. It can combat different kinds of intestinal and gastric illnesses and has a therapeutic effect. There is an anti-diarrhea effect as well which helps in the intestinal activity. Polyphenols present in tea helps to lower intestinal inflammation which cause irritable bowel syndrome.
10) Increased Energy: Black tea drinkers have found it to be an energizing drink. The moderate levels of caffeine in it act as a stimulant to increase alertness and brain function. Caffeine in black tea is more beneficial than the caffeine content in coffee or cola like beverages. The theophylline compound found in tea helps to stimulate the kidneys, heart and the respiratory system. Such compounds can help maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.